Offsite construction is a construction process that depends on manufacturing units off site and getting them assembled at the construction site. KEF Infra is one of the best offsite construction companies in India.
The off -site construction process comprises the designing and planning of buildings as well as manufacturing the building components at facilities away from the construction site. The units are transported on-site for assembly to complete construction.
It includes use of dedicated software, technology integration, and range of materials for designing and manufacturing of units.
Off-site products include building components, panels, and modular units.
It creates a seamless construction process beginning with planning and designing and incorporating manufacture and supply of units.
The most preferred offsite construction is the modular unit. It comprises two types of modular construction.
- Re-locatable modular units: These modules are used to construct temporary spaces as and when necessary. They are either leased for a period of time or purchased permanently. The spaces can be used as temporary show rooms and classrooms.
- Permanent modular units: These are building units manufactured in factory facilities and assembled to construct permanent structures. It is useful in constructing multi-storied buildings, hospitals, schools, and larger residential structures.
Both types of modular units come as structural units as well as functional units that can be placed inside a structural unit.
Off-site and on-site construction compared
- On-site construction segregates building construction work into almost watertight segments. Workers In each segment of the construction process tend to follow a competitive and adversarial attitude that works to the disadvantage of engineers, architects, designers, and contractors. Off-site construction brings all collaborators into the project at the designing stage thereby reducing chances of adversarial attitude. The integration of functions works to the advantage of stakeholders.
- On-site construction depends on temporary teams of workers who may or may not work together in future. Each building is a unique project with its peculiar demands that cannot be replicated elsewhere. Off-site method provides the scope to keep teams in tact through regular and continuous interaction across projects. It also affords scope to control and maintain workflow.
- On-site construction increases about 50% of non value adding activities to construction work. These include construction and removing of scaffolding for example. Off- site construction limits such wasteful activities and increases productive activity to over 60%.
The working of off-site construction
A working model follows set steps
- Pre-Design: conceptualizing the structure
- Design: integrated team work
- Order: placing the order for manufacture of units
- Fabricating: manufacturing of units in factory controlled environment
- Delivery: transporting units to construction site
- Assembly: collaborative or single assembly
Despite the obvious and visible advantages of cost effectiveness, speed, and consistency is off-site construction, it cannot be the answer to all construction requirements. It shows adverse effect on floor to floor height and wall thickness. Transportation needs restrict the size of the modular units that can be manufactured. Renovation of structures using modular units is a more difficult process than in on-site construction.