Precast concrete is a new age construction material in use today in building and construction work. It differs from regular concrete in the way it is processed and fitted and in its unique properties. Using precast concrete brings benefits to builders. These precast panels are used to build exterior and interior walls.
How is Precast Concrete Processed?
Precast concrete is manufactured off-site in factories under rigorous controlled conditions. The concrete mixture is cast in a reusable module to form ready to use blocks of concrete. These blocks undergo a curing process in a controlled environment.
Where is Precast Concrete Used?
Precast concrete is used primarily to clad buildings and create facades. The panels are good for landscaping, building boundary walls for security, and for soundproofing.
Reasons for Using Precast Concrete
- Comfortable: This concrete has inherent qualities of temperature optimization and sound insulation. Interiors maintain a comfortable temperature and remain free from disturbances naturally.
- Safe: Like its on-site counterpart, this concrete too is strong and fire resistant. In addition to that this precast concrete has the strength to resists impact of blasts, earthquakes, tornadoes and storms.
- Versatile: The manufacturing process of this concrete makes it flexible and adaptable to shapes, sizes, colors, and finish. It is also very moldable and can be given the look of materials like sandstone or rock.
- Healthy: This concrete remains free from wet patches, insect attacks and erosion. This eliminates the need for chemical treatments that in turn results in a healthier atmosphere without toxic gases trapped inside buildings.
- Optimized: The panels are thinner, have more tolerance, and are engineered to specific standards.
- Durable: This concrete has a longer life than concrete cast on –site. Its use makes buildings sturdy for longer periods of time.
- Ecological: locally available material is mainly used to manufacture this concrete, thus significantly reducing the adverse effects on environment. Additionally, this concrete is reusable further increasing its beneficial effect on environment.
- Fast: concrete for different parts of a building can be cast much before they are actually needed thereby speeding up the building process. Lag time for setting is eliminated.
- Affordable: Price reduction is possible as the concrete is manufactured using local inexpensive material that saves on transportation cost. Once construction is completed, their strength and durability mean there is less need for maintenance and repairs.
- Sustainable: Precast concrete provides benefits for people, profit and places. Users benefit from its versatility, durability, flexibility of design and strength. They afford profits to builders and owners alike as they speed up construction work and bring down cost. Protection of environment benefits the planet.
Categories of Products
- Building products including bricks, blocks, floors, roofing, beams and structural elements.
- Civil engineering products for external use including street infrastructure products.
- Special products for gardens, tanks and vessels, and industrial use products.
With the increasing use of precast concrete in India for construction, building work has become standardized, safe, fast, economical, and environment friendly.