Concrete structures are strong and durable. Construction work uses concrete to build the skeletons of buildings. They form the weight bearing structure in buildings. They are also extensively used for areas that have heavy vehicular movements and footfalls.
What is concrete?
Concrete is needed for all construction work. it is formed by mixing cement, sand, stone chips and water in appropriate proportions and pouring the mixture into prepared iron mesh molds. This mixture is allowed to set and cured for the concrete to form. The formed concrete is used in building.
What is precast concrete?
Precast concrete uses the same concept to prepare concrete offsite. The precast units are manufactured in factories. The molds have pre-stressed wires set in them and the curing is done under controlled conditions. The process is safer and faster. The molds are reused several times. This brings down the cost of making concrete units.
Why is it an improvement on traditional concrete?
- Precast concrete uses molds multiple times thereby affording uniformity to each unit. The handmade molds in traditional concrete can vary in dimensions.
- Curing is done under controlled conditions giving precast concrete smoother finish. Curing done on site takes more time and is not uniform across structures.
- The amount of mixture used for each unit is the same. In traditional concrete the amount of mixture could be different making the concrete less uniform.
Ways in which pre cast concrete is used
- Building and expanding parking areas
- Office buildings with unusual facades that is both functional and aesthetic.
- Hotels, dormitories, and apartment complexes
- Schools and hospitals
Benefits of using precast concrete
- Precast concrete provides engineers with greater opportunity for creative designing.
- The customized units are easily assembled and installed.
- Saving time on curing and installing concrete translates into less expense for builders.
- Precast concrete is fire and heat resistant.
- Precast concrete gives you control over project time frames along with control on quality of product used
- It can be used as structural frames and for creating facades for buildings.
- It is easy to install.
- Its density and strength make them ideal for sound proofing.
- It can be tested for quality before it is installed.
- It provides a healthier interior as it needs no chemical treatment throughout life.
- It is made from natural and local resources. This makes it environment friendly.
Increasing use of precast concrete makes infrastructural development sustainable. it serves varied human needs at affordable pricing and simultaneously protects the environment from harm. In this way it serves the three P’s of sustainable growth.
Precast concrete construction can be used for structural parts of buildings such as beams and pillars, roofing and flooring. This concrete is equally useful in building roads and bridges. The slabs are lighter than slabs of traditional concrete. This makes them easier to handle. Use precast concrete for all your construction work and complete your projects efficiently and on time.
Precast concrete is a new age construction material in use today in building and construction work. It differs from regular concrete in the way it is processed and fitted and in its unique properties. Using precast concrete brings benefits to builders. These precast panels are used to build exterior and interior walls.
How is Precast Concrete Processed?
Precast concrete is manufactured off-site in factories under rigorous controlled conditions. The concrete mixture is cast in a reusable module to form ready to use blocks of concrete. These blocks undergo a curing process in a controlled environment.
Where is Precast Concrete Used?
Precast concrete is used primarily to clad buildings and create facades. The panels are good for landscaping, building boundary walls for security, and for soundproofing.
Reasons for Using Precast Concrete
- Comfortable: This concrete has inherent qualities of temperature optimization and sound insulation. Interiors maintain a comfortable temperature and remain free from disturbances naturally.
- Safe: Like its on-site counterpart, this concrete too is strong and fire resistant. In addition to that this precast concrete has the strength to resists impact of blasts, earthquakes, tornadoes and storms.
- Versatile: The manufacturing process of this concrete makes it flexible and adaptable to shapes, sizes, colors, and finish. It is also very moldable and can be given the look of materials like sandstone or rock.
- Healthy: This concrete remains free from wet patches, insect attacks and erosion. This eliminates the need for chemical treatments that in turn results in a healthier atmosphere without toxic gases trapped inside buildings.
- Optimized: The panels are thinner, have more tolerance, and are engineered to specific standards.
- Durable: This concrete has a longer life than concrete cast on –site. Its use makes buildings sturdy for longer periods of time.
- Ecological: locally available material is mainly used to manufacture this concrete, thus significantly reducing the adverse effects on environment. Additionally, this concrete is reusable further increasing its beneficial effect on environment.
- Fast: concrete for different parts of a building can be cast much before they are actually needed thereby speeding up the building process. Lag time for setting is eliminated.
- Affordable: Price reduction is possible as the concrete is manufactured using local inexpensive material that saves on transportation cost. Once construction is completed, their strength and durability mean there is less need for maintenance and repairs.
- Sustainable: Precast concrete provides benefits for people, profit and places. Users benefit from its versatility, durability, flexibility of design and strength. They afford profits to builders and owners alike as they speed up construction work and bring down cost. Protection of environment benefits the planet.
Categories of Products
- Building products including bricks, blocks, floors, roofing, beams and structural elements.
- Civil engineering products for external use including street infrastructure products.
- Special products for gardens, tanks and vessels, and industrial use products.
With the increasing use of precast concrete in India for construction, building work has become standardized, safe, fast, economical, and environment friendly.